Signs you have Rats at your home or place of work
The sound of scratching and scurrying sounds within your walls, under floors or from the loft space above your head whilst you are trying to sleep, is enough to worry most people because you know that Rodents have entered your property. The next step is to determine which kind of rodent infestation you have? In the UK scratching, scurrying and other loud noises rom the attic, under floors and in wall cavities are usually caused by mice, rats or squirrels.
Country Life Pest Control are your local specialists in rodent control and know how to get rid of rats and other rodents and can easily identify what type of infestation you have either over the phone or by inspecting your property. Contact us today for a free consultation or to arrange a free home inspection.
Rats in loft space
Your loft provides rats with the perfect environment from which to thrive. As with mice, rats are commensal and are more than happy to share our homes with us.
Warmth, shelter, loft insulation, bags of clothes, cardboard boxes and other stored items in your loft provide rats with the perfect home as they will make short work of turning all of these into nesting material and will also cause damage to electrical cables and plastic pipework for example.
Once you have them, it is very important to call an exterminator as early as possible because rats breed fast and two rats soon become many and can cause literally thousands of pounds worth of damage. Moreover, rats carry serious diseases and are a serious health risk to you and your family, so it is very important to call an expert in pest control as soon as you believe you have problem.
Signs of Rats in your loft
Discovering rats in your loft can be a rather unpleasant and terrifying experience. Initial signs that you have rats in your loft space include scurrying and scratching sounds from above your head as you lay in bed at night. Upon inspection of your loft space rat droppings are usually the first signs of a rat infestation and if they have been there for a while, there will be a very unpleasant and heavy odour of Urine. Other signs of Rats in your attic might include damage to stored items, gnawed cables, smear marks and footprints.
If you do decide to inspect the loft yourself, be warned! Rats carry life threatening diseases associated with rodents, and great care should be taken where inspections for Rats are concerned. At Country Life Pest Control, we are fully trained to carry out loft inspections and are prepared for and are fully aware of the risks involved taking all the necessary precautions to insure we and the general public are safe from harm.
How do Rats get into the loft?
In the UK Rats can enter our properties through various routes. Here are some of the main access points:
- Sewage waste pipes – The Sewage systems in the UK were originally built in the 1700’s and 1800’s and are in some parts of the UK in need of repair. Rats live and thrive happily within our sewage systems and travel around them freely. Breeches in these underground waste systems offer Rats the opportunity to enter your property with relative ease. If you have a breech in the sewage pipes under or within close vicinity of your home or place of work, a Rat makes light work of tunnelling from the sewage pipes and into the cavity walls of your property and then further into your loft space or other areas of the building.
- Climbing – Rats are happy to climb items stored against the side of your property, or climb Ivy for example, as a means to search for entry points into your building. Once inside the wall, a rat will climb upwards through the wall cavity and into your loft space.
- Air Vents – Rats only need a hole around 16mm to enter a building, but juvenile Rats can enter holes much smaller which is why some infestations begin as a result of Rats entering through the vents located at low level around your property. Once inside the wall cavity Rats make light work of climbing upwards and finally into your attic.
- Gnawing – During the colder winter months, Rats can also enter your property by gnawing through the bases of wooden doors leading to the inside of your home or place of work.
Why be concerned about Rats in your loft?
The fact is, you shouldn’t just be concerned about rats in your loft! Once inside your house or place of business, you should be concerned about all areas of the property as Rats are very destructive and can chew through most building material including pipework, make light work of gnawing through electrical cables creating an electrical fire hazard and are happy to destroy personal belongings from clothes to more valuable items. Basically, Rats with gnaw and chew right through most things found in and around your home or place of business and the results very costly.
Squirrels or Rats in your loft?
Rats are nocturnal by nature and in general you will only hear them scurrying and scratching in your loft during the hours of darkness. This is a sure sign that your rodent infestation is either Rats or Mice. Squirrels on the other hand are mainly active in loft spaces during dawn or dusk and are usually very noisy. Jumping and running around, it can sound like you have the drum section of an Orchestra living in your loft space and is a sure sign of Squirrels in your attic and are often mistaken for Rats or mice. If see Rats running around your home or at your place of work during daylight hours, this normally means you have a large infestation which needs controlling as soon as possible.
Other signs of Rats in your home or at your place of work
Once Rats have entered your property, they will happily travel around the cavity of your walls in order to gain access to other living areas. Here are some of the main signs to look and listen out for inside and outside:
- Scurrying and scratching sounds under floorboards
- Droppings in food and kitchen areas – especially under sinks
- Scurrying and scratching sounds inside the wall cavity
- Smear marks along skirting boards
- Holes which the rats have gnawed in skirting boards to gain access
- Check compost heaps for tunnels and holes. They provide Rats with food, warmth and shelter
- Look out holes tunnelled by Rats from neighbouring properties
- Well-worn runs along garden perimeters
- Droppings, urine and damage inside garden structures such as sheds
- Garden decking - Although an attractive addition to your garden, Rats love decking as it provides shelter and easy access to your home
Country Life Rat control?
Do you have signs of rats in your home or at your place of business? If yes, then you need to call Country Life Pest Control at your earliest convenience. We have the skills and training to eliminate them fast and will guide you as to how to avoid future infestations.
Why should you choose Country Life Pest Control?
Fast and Friendly Service
Family-owned business with over 30 years customer service experience. You are guaranteed a friendly reassuring voice over the phone and excellent customer service, offering same-day call out or within 24 hours.
Fully Qualified and Insured
We are fully qualified to industry standard RSPH Level 2, Members of the NPTA and Members of the Professional Pest Controllers Register, so you are in safe hands.
After an initial site survey, we will recommend the best treatment to solve your pest infestation. In all cases, all treatments are in line with current codes of practice and are both child and pet-friendly.
Free no-obligation quotes
In most cases, we are able to offer free quotations for control of pests over the phone and guarantee no call out charge on completed work.