Facts about Mice
Your home or place of business provides the perfect environment for a mouse. Here are some mice facts:
- Mice, or rodents, are found all over the world. Incredibly there are estimated to be between 1250 and 1300 species and are all members of the super family Muroidea. Muroid families are divided into 6 families and 20 subfamilies consisting of 275-285 genre, with the most common being the “true” house mouse, scientifically known as the Mus Musculus, species of rodentia, or more commonly known as rodents.
- Interestingly, mice can obtain the water they require to survive for quite some time, but without food a mouse can only last on average for about 2-4 days.
- If the head fits, so will the body! Mice only need a hole the diameter of a pencil and are the experts of squeezing into small places in order to gain access to your house or place of work.
- Clutter in your house or at your place of work provides mice with the perfect platform to spread easily throughout your premises as they are excellent athletes capable of jumping as high as 45cm. Mice are even capable of climbing 13 inches vertically up smooth surfaces.
- Incredibly, mice can swim and even tread water for up to three days! A mouse can hold its breath when fully submerged for up to three minutes.
Mice are extremely efficient at gnawing through household items that would, for a human, be impossible to chew without extreme discomfort and pain. Mice are capable of chewing through numerous building materials and can easily chew through plastic, vinyl, cables and aluminium to name a few.
How long does a mouse live?
Under ideal conditions such as warmth, a constant food supply and without competition from predators or other rodents, a house mouse can live for approximately two years. However, on average, the house mouse lives for about 5-6 months.
How fast do mice breed?
Even though on average the life of a mouse is very short, it still does not mean that you don’t have to worry about them in your home or at your place of work. Your property provides the perfect environment that allows mice to breed 365 days per year. With a gestation period of 19-21 days, an average litter size of 5-14 pups and the fact that a female mouse can produce 5-10 litters per year, it is easy to calculate that once your house has mice, it won’t be long before a full-blown infestation has taken hold, which is why it is important to contact Country Life Pest Control as your first step in getting rid of mice in your property as soon as possible.
Do mice build nests in my home?
Although it is not uncommon to have a mouse infestation at any time of the year in the UK, the Autumn and Winter will see a large jump in reported rodent siting’s, and the risk of mice entering your home will increase dramatically. Mice need to build nests in order to provide a warm and safe sanctuary for their pups, and what better place for mice to build a nest than in your loft or wall cavity? Soft material is in abundance in most people’s lofts, including loft insulation, cardboard, paper and clothes. Mice are experts in chewing and will make light work in turning these items into perfect nesting material.
Are mice Nocturnal?
Seeing mice active in your home or at your place of work during daylight hours, normally indicates that you have a serious mouse infestation. Mice are nocturnal by nature, which is why you often hear them scurrying in your loft space, under floors or in your wall cavity during the hours of darkness.
Are mice blind?
Compared to most mammals, Mice are not known for possessing keen vision. They do however possess excellent hearing and can detect sounds not possible for humans to hear. This is used as a self-preservation mechanism to help avoid predators. Mice are also equipped with an excellent sense of smell and possess a palate worthy of a chef, so when in search of food their noses and keen taste more than make up for their lack of vision.
Are you in need of Mouse control?
Do you have signs of mice in your home or at your place of work such as droppings or shredded materials? If yes, then you need to call a fully trained and qualified professional mouse exterminator who has the skills and pest control expertise to eliminate them completely and prevent future infestations.
Call Country Life Pest Control on 07496 750071 or contact us online in order to begin the process of eliminating your mouse infestation fast.
Why should you choose Country Life Pest Control?
Fast and Friendly Service
Family-owned business with over 30 years customer service experience. You are guaranteed a friendly reassuring voice over the phone and excellent customer service, offering same-day call out or within 24 hours.
Fully Qualified and Insured
We are fully qualified to industry standard RSPH Level 2, Members of the NPTA and Members of the Professional Pest Controllers Register, so you are in safe hands.
After an initial site survey, we will recommend the best treatment to solve your pest infestation. In all cases, all treatments are in line with current codes of practice and are both child and pet-friendly.
Free no-obligation quotes
In most cases, we are able to offer free quotations for control of pests over the phone and guarantee no call out charge on completed work.